Friday, April 10, 2009

He's a Sheep.


Rocky was sheared for the first time this last week. I wasn't there--I don't know if I could have handled it. I wanted to help Katie, Head Sheep Shearer, shear the sheep and my desire was for real. However, I have had several mishaps happen when I 'helped' Katie with pasture animals in the past and needless to say, she still has arms and hands and she likes it that way.

I did end up with a nice little bit of wool, Real Sheep's Wool--a thoughtful gift from Katie (most likely for staying out of her way.)




Rooster was rescued from a cock fighting ring in south Texas. He was one of 10 (I think...) and now lives in the pasture with Rocky and the other permanent special needs herd. Rooster's best friend is Violet the pig (a lovely pink pig that wasn't able to get around when she first arrived due to being paralyzed and overweight. Though still a little paralyzed in her hind end, she gets around very well due to a perfect pig friendly diet and a large pasture in which to live.) He's never far from her except when she burrows into the huge round bale of hay and disappears. He's then left on his own to keep the pasture safe from all bugs and other winged invaders he deems dangerous.


On the home front:
I chanced out back to give the dogs water and saw the rose bush in the garden in all of her glory. She was originally purchased because she has the best and most nutritious rose hips in the fall that come in very handy for Get Well teas in the winter. And, Justin (our 110lb shepherd/lab mix dog) just can't get enough of them when I allow him to come with me into the garden. He will stand neck deep in the bush gently and delicately lip each hip and eat it. I've stood amazed watching him avoid all thorns while getting his fill.



I've neglected her for the last year or so and in spite of my neglect (or maybe because of it as she's an antique) she's glorious!! If I knew her name, I would tell you. As it is, I've forgotten it. As soon as I find, remember, or am told her name I will amend this post. Until then, isn't she LOVELY!!!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Rocky looks great with his spring hair cut! Love Rooster too, and think it's wonderful that his best friend is a pig.
Beautiful roses!